Sunday, January 31, 2010

2 SRS Treatments Complete - 2 more to go!

No matter what I want to accomplish, I never go through it alone.

Let me first say....the folks at St. John’s Mercy are absolutely wonderful. The care and compassion of these fine people in the Cancer Center has been unbelievably awesome. Couldn't ask for kinder people.

I was a bit on the nervous side as I wasn't quite sure what to expect with this whole SRS treatment. I told myself....silly girl, it really is no different than my daily radiation treatments, right? Well maybe....except the treatment is longer with multipe, high-dose, extremely focalized beams of radiation to my head, being sedated due to the length of treatment and the need to be completely immobile and I will be more tired after the treatment. Hmmm...are those really good reasons to be nervous?? Ya, honestly...in my mind..a little bit.

I do think my nerves are more from the standpoint of the possible 'rare' long term side effects of this treatment. Alright...'possible' long term side effects....they're just that...'possible', potentially, meaning they may not happen, also identified as 'rare'. If they do occur, they could be potentially permanent, but they are still identified as 'rare'. Then I come back to, I never do anything by the book, so could it be the case with this?

So, I stop myself right here and I talk myself out of going down this negative, 'what if' road. I choose to be positive, confident and faithful that the benefits of this treatment outweigh the 'rare, possible' side effects that may not happen. I am uplifted by the fact that God will not take me anywhere he thinks I can't handle or cope.

I have experienced more fatigue with the first 2 SRS treatments. Probably partly due to the sedation and partly due to the high doses of radiation. After treatment, I've gone home and slept, which is probably what I've needed most.

So...2 treatments down, 2 more to go...Monday, 2/1 and Wednesday, 2/3. Please keep me in your prayers as I begin and end this week of Phase 2.

Peace will be ours when we narrow our focus and saturate our minds with truth and trust.

Have a blessed and peaceful week..
Sandy

5 comments:

  1. That a girl! I have been waiting to hear from you and though tired (which by golly you should be) you are still kicking that positive vibe so hoorah for U and after today you will be down to just one more. My daughter left home today for San Francisco and her new job so my prayers are split between you and her...but believe me I am sending enough for both of you! Stay rested to get over this hump...it's OK to rest and save that vital energy. Hugs, Christy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just think how adorable cuddly puppies sleep all the time, so they can run and play and be happy with their family. They exude love and happiness. So I say sleep all you want and need, you're storing up you reserves for the right time when you can jump and play too. You're doing great, keep up your strength and courage.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remain in awe of your strength, courage and faith. I know that He is walking with you in this journey of the unknown and in life, because of your journey, you have been an inspiration to me and I am sure others to pursue our faith and relationship with our Lord and begin a journey of our own. I love you my Sandy sister.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandy,

    God will continue to keep and bless you in your road to recovery!

    In My Prayers,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is it...the last treatment in your series...praying for ya, Christy

    ReplyDelete