Monday, March 29, 2010

New Chemo Drug Today

I woke up this morning so thankful for this beautiful, sunny day. I am so blessed.

I went to St. John's this morning for my first infusion of chemo. They gave me an anti-nausea drug, Decadron (a steroid), Benadryl and then the Carboplatin. So far, no hives, no nausea, just tired.....but all in all, I think it went well. I came home and slept most of the day. The nurses are still having a problem with my veins rolling when they try to insert the IV. I've always had really good veins, but this past week has been a challenge for them. My arms are starting to look like I'm a drug addict. Although, I guess in a way, I kind of am!

My oncologist came by the treatment room this morning and gave us the results of the MRI done last Wednesday. We have some good news to share!! I have NO tumor regrowth in the original tumor site nor do they see any other abnormalities in other parts of my brain.

Alleluia...Praise God!!! Our prayers are being answered everyone!! We are winning this battle and God is rewarding us for our courage and strength and placing our faith and trust in him. Thank you all, my "prayer warriors" once again, for fighting this battle with me. I cannot do this alone and you all lifting me up to the Lord has given me strength and comfort. Each of you are my inspiration!!

My next chemo treatment should be April 13th. I see my onologist on Monday, April 5. Hopefully my blood counts will continue to remain stable. My followup radiation oncologist appointment is April 8th, so we will see what he has to say. I'm sure he will be pleased with the results of the MRI.

I can't help but wonder if something good is coming out of the challenges I faced with the Temodar. I asked the nurse today during my treatment what I should do with the leftover Temodar, since I will for sure not take this drug again. I wasn't sure if there are mandatory disposal rules for chemotherapy drugs. She told me that I could bring in any unused drugs and they will give it those people who are struggling to afford the cost of chemotherapy. It's incredibly expensive and I am so fortunate to have medical insurance. It makes me feel good to to know that I can help someone who cannot normally afford the exorbitant cost of this cancer care.

This journey is teaching me so much. I know this sounds cliche, but everything does happen for a reason and God has not given me more than I can handle, because I am living it everyday. Thank God!

Peace and love,
Sandy

6 comments:

  1. Dear Sandy,

    I am so glad to hear that you don't have a hive issue any more...whew...that's a hurdle you've crossed finally and WoW (!) what wonderful MRI news too! Way to battle warrior woman...keep it up and we'll keep up the prayers. Sending you sunshine and good wishes, Christy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sitting here crying and smiling all at the same time. What a blessing about the MRI results. I inspire me!!!!
    Love,
    Aunt Kay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, that was suppose to be "You inspire me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praise God! He is the ultimate Physcian and Healer! BY you living by faith and not by sight, staying prayerful, and tursting in Him, He will and had made all your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6 says "Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and lean not on your own understanding. Acknowledge Him in ALL your ways and He will make your paths straight." Amen to that sister! You are living proof!

    Love,
    Jessica Crandell (Cheryl & Rich's daughter)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the best news! It's Good Friday and indeed it is. Hope you have a restful Easter and feel the renewal and rebirth it brings us all. Continue your courageous nature.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Easter Sandy...enjoy this gorgeous day and soak up the goodness!
    Thinking of you, Christy

    ReplyDelete