Tuesday, March 9, 2010

What the heck am I allergic too??

The will of God will never take you where the grace of God will not protect you.

I am 1-1/2 weeks past the end of my weekly chemo treatment and I am still dealing with these crazy hives....they have just plain worn me out. They seem to come and go. One minute I'm hive free, the next minute my skin is turning rosey red, I start running a fever, and I get the chills. Then they go away. I continue this pattern all day long, Oh Brother!! At least I am no longer a swollen, itchy mess, so that's a blessing.

I saw my allergy doctor last week to talk with him about the possibility of being allergic to Blue Dye #2, which is in the capsule packaging of one of my pills. Unfortunately, there are no skin tests for dyes. Ok...let's keep looking....

Next, I contacted Shering-Plough, to find out if they make Temodar in a dye-free capsule or in tablet form. The answer to those questions were "No" and "No". So, I continue on with my process of elimination....

I saw my Medical Oncologist yesterday, I reviewed with her the research that I've done in trying to determine the root cause. This is the plan of action for my next treatment week which begins on Monday, March 22nd...

I am going to have the Temodar administered through Infusion at the same dosage level (225mg) as the capsules. I will go to St. John's everyday for 5 days, let them stick me with an IV and watch it drip for 90 minutes. WooHoo!! We should know soon enough if I am allergic to the drug or not. (When I took the capsules, I broke out with hives no more than 15 minutes after swallowing the pills.) Obviously, if I don't break out in hives, it's the dye. If I do, it's the Temodar. Please pray, it's the dye!!

I guess for me, March really came in like a Lion!! Let's pray that as Spring arrives and I start my next treatment, March goes out like a Lamb!!

Have a great week every one. Thank you for all the prayers and kind thoughts sent my way.

Through faith I overcome every limitation. I know that God's power in me is greater than any situation I may have to meet or overcome; God is greater than any condition or circumstance.

I walk by faith and not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7

Until next time, many blessings.....
Sandy

3 comments:

  1. I love my Sandy Sister!!! (inside joke for those who think I am crazy and miss saying my sister Sandy) San, I hope you chuckle and remember everytime I say it, like I do. My prayers continue for you and for the family. Your faith, determination and self advocacy is astounding, always keep it up and if you can't I will do it for you, whatever you need, I am willing. I love you. : }

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandy....I must say I like your CSI style getting down to the "hive mystery" and I have no doubt you will determine the root cause and come to a better way to endure Themodar. I'm praying for hive-free weeks for you in the near future and a long hive free life! You go girl...may Spring bloom rosey for you!
    Hugs & prayers, Christy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sandy,

    Just thinking about you this am and hoping your "itchies" have subsided!
    Hugs, Christy

    ReplyDelete