Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Trip to Duke - Fabulous!!

I am grateful for the experiences that have brought me to this moment.

Our trip to the Duke Brain Tumor Center was nothing less than very informative, encouraging and motivating. We came away from there with so much HOPE, and are so energized as we continue the pursuit to beat this cancer. Friends, we WILL beat this!!

My first appointment was for a MRI Thursday evening, October 14th. I'm so getting used to that routine...I think I don't even hear the machine's loud claps, beeps and horns anymore. All I hear is my conversation with God as we talk about life.

My appointment with the Brain Tumor Center doctors was Friday morning. We met with Dr. Ashley Sumrall and Dr. Annik Desjardins, who will be my team of doctors and also met with my contacts on the nursing and social work staff. They are all awesome. Obviously, brain tumors is their area of expertise, but what struck me was their extensive knowledge, encouragement, compassion and committment that they are with patients every step of the way in whatever capacity they need to be. They shared the results of my MRI....no tumor growth..at all...anywhere. Oh one other thing...the 'nodule' or 'enhancement' that exists in the tumor site that was thought to be resistant tumor or scar tissue...the Duke doctors believe that is a blood vessel. Are prayers working?...To that I answer "Amen"!! Oh ya!

They were very complimentary of the St. John's staff who have been caring for me up to this point. They expressed how well the surgery was performed when the tumor was removed, the successful radiation therapys and how well my ongoing chemotherapy treatments have gone. Their comments validated for me that the right things have been happening because it's working. St. John's will continue to administer my treatment under the direction of my doctors at Duke. I will only need to travel to Duke about every 12 weeks.

The Duke doctors also shared some statistical data with us that is truly awesome. Listen to this....they have 172 GBM patients that are long term survivors...long term meaning 5 years or greater. How about that for exciting statistics? Even more exciting is what they told me next. Because of the tumor size and location, the successful surgery to remove the tumor, my response to treatment, my good health, positive outlook and my strong faith, I too have the makings of being in the category of a long term survivor. How about that for exciting news? I absolutely believe the Brain Tumor Center motto is accurate...At Duke, there is HOPE! I couldn't be more hopeful!

With all that great news, here's what's next:
* Continue the same chemotherapy regimen through February 2011 resulting in a full year of treatment.
* MRI scans every 6 weeks.
* PET scan on January 10, 2011.
* Appointment to see Dr. Desjardins at Duke on January 10, 2011.
* If scans indicate no tumor growth, I will stop chemotherapy in February and we will monitor with MRI scans. If growth exists, I will continue 6 more months of chemo and then determine course of action from there.

Believe it or not, I'm coming up to my 1 year anniversary of diagnosis. It has been quite a journey. I have learned so much about myself, about what's important, about how to not take anything for granted, especially to not take for granted that I've been given another day to enjoy. I've learned (or maybe still learning) what to worry about, what not to worry about, and that I couldn't have made it this far without all of your prayers and all of the love and support that surrounds me. I learned that God didn't inflict me with this disease, it just happened. But because of this, I learned that God is carrying me and giving me the strength to live every day and to trust HIM with my life. Because He's given me my life.

Thank you for praying and sharing this year with me. And God willing, we will have many more to share.

+Peace,
Sandy

2 comments:

  1. God is great, gracious and generous! I am so excited for you and for the future. Thank you for your faith because it is teaching me along the way, many things. I love you! Congratulations. God is good, Life is good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Sandy....awesome news you have shared with us and I am so happy for you and your future! Your strength and faith are undeniable and I applaude your determination and stamina! This is great news and I love hearing it from you. My prayers and rah rahs continue for you...beat this thing! Yeah! Hugs, Christy

    ReplyDelete