Friday, October 29, 2010

10/25...A treatment week

I envision us healthy and whole.

I saw Dr. Hu on Monday, 10/25. I briefed him on my visit to Duke and he was very happy to hear their thoughts and future plans for me. My blood counts were on the low side this time, so my chemo dose was the 10% less than the norm in hopes to keep them from plummeting too low. As usual, had the Neulasta shot on Tuesday. I was feeling good until Thursday, which was 2 days after chemo as par for the course, then unfortunately I didn't feel so great. Today, however I'm feeling much better.

This was my 8th month of treatment. The nurses had a difficult time with the IV....3 different nurses, 6 different sticks. One word to describe it....YOW-OUCH!!! My veins are becoming tough, apparently that happens the longer one is on chemo, and more difficult to get a good IV insertion. Painful for both them and me! They certainly feel bad not being able to get the IV in and I feel bad for them because they feel bad! Since I will continue to have blood draws every 2 weeks, chemo every 3-3 1/2 weeks and MRI's with dye every 6 weeks, the best option will be for me to have a port put in. I was trying to avoid having to do that, but I don't think I have a choice. That procedure will be scheduled sometime within the next 2 weeks or so. Ya know, we just do what we have to do and it will be fine.

The human mind plans the way, but the Lord directs the steps. Proverbs 16:9

Have a wonderful weekend.
+Peace
Sandy

1 comment:

  1. You forgot to add one more thing Sandy...you're tough too! I remember when my daughter was a premie the nurses had to draw her blood all the time and eventually, though I was hoping to avoid it, they had to put a port in her...in her head because all her arms had been so used by the needles...it was a bummer but, it turned out fine. It will make it easier for the nurses and you and less anxiety/pain...so just stay tough and we all pray, it will be fine.
    Hugs, Christy

    ReplyDelete