Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Siteman visit to Radiation Oncologist - 11/24/2009

Jesus turned around and when he saw her he said, "Daughter, be encouraged! Your faith has made you well." And the woman was healed at that moment. Matthew 9:22

We consulted with the Radiation Oncologist today at Siteman Cancer Center. They offer the same standard radiation treatment as St. John's, but they can't get started for a couple of weeks because they need to make a simulated impression mold of my head. This molded impression will be used to set the focus and target the radiation to the tumor site along with limiting movement of my head so the radiation is beamed to the exact same place each and every time. St. John's can make this impression and have it done in a day....what's up with that??...why can St. John's do it faster than Siteman?? Ya know, I'm not real interested in waiting a couple more weeks for Siteman.....daylight is burning here folks!!! I am anxious to get started on my treatments so that the Lord and the Doctors can get down to the business of healing me!!!

Here's the regimen for daily radiation therapy: Focused radiation to the tumor location 5 days/wk for 6 1/2 weeks. Each radiation treatment last about 20 minutes. Side effects will be temporary patchy hair loss in the area were the radiation is focused, (I guess I'll just part my hair differently...probably have a 'big comb over!!" ..yikes!), redness or irritation in that same area, possiblity of headaches, nasua, vomiting, blood clot and oh ya...Fatigue! Well...we'll just see about that part! My type A personality will probably get the best of me on this side effect! Possible long term side effects will be slow hair regrowth, normal brain tissue damage, possible return of original symptons and fatigue could be slow to wear off. It is was it is!

Today I went ahead and made an appointment with St.John's for Wednesday of next week (12/2), they can make the mold and set my schedule all in the same day. Depending on the outcome of tomorrow's consultation visit with the medical oncologist at Siteman, we will make the final decision on where I'm going. Today...leaning toward St. John's. Stay tuned...more to come.

As we consult with these doctors and continue to learn more about Gliosarcoma, I find it encouraging that they have been impressed with how healthy and strong I am, the visible size of the tumor (1.6cm or grape size) and encouraged that the surgeon was able to cleanly remove the tumor that was visible. This is all good news....thank you Lord....I'm telling you all, HE is right here with me!!!

Make it a great day everyone, thank you again to all my prayer soldiers standing as a united entity with me on this journey....we are all so blessed and have so much to live and be thankful for!!! You all inspire me!!

Peace and love to all,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment