Thursday, November 26, 2009

Siteman Cancer Center visit to Medical Oncologist - November 25, 2009

And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; they shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. Mark 16:17-18

We met with the Medical Oncologist at Siteman Cancer Center on Wednesday, 11/25. I can tell you that talking to all of these doctors has been very informative and we continue to learn more with each visit. They have all been saying pretty much of the same thing, so hearing the consistency of their message is good and it just plain helps me to absorb the information and better understand this disease. The purpose of going to Siteman was to learn of any clinical studies available and then make the best decision for my situation based on timing and candidacy.

Siteman currently has a couple of clinical studies ramping up. This doc thinks that one of the studies "Study-825" would be a good one for me to participate in. It is a clinical trial using the standard radiation/chemotherapy treatment, but with an additional drug called 'Avastin" that would be given simultaneously during the standard treatment. Avastin is a drug that can interrupt the body's ability to grow new blood vessels causing the tumor to shrink and also may eliminate poorly formed blood vessels in tumors that would result in improved blood flow allowing better delivery of the chemotherapy drugs. Currently, Avastin is used only when/if they see a progression in tumor growth after standard treatment and have seen some success with it. So, the purpose of the study is to determine if they have more success rate with its use during standard treatment versus as an 'add-on' at the end of treatment. This study has 700/800 participants across the world, I would be the 2nd patient in STL on this study. Downside...can't get started for about 3 weeks because of more tests. Yikes...in my mind that's too long to wait to get started. Another downside....placement on the drug is random, meaning I have a 50/50 chance of getting the placebo or getting the Avastin, won't know what group I would fall into.

The other study, CT-322, that I could or could not be a candidate for based on other tests on the tumor tissue would be for the use of a drug called 'Celingitide' in addition to the standard treatment. This drug has an effect on the proteins, cell inhibitors...blah, blah, blah. My tumor would have to be of a specific status, which they don't know that answer yet without more tests...causing more delay in treatment. This treatment would be administered in IV form on a scheduled basis.

So....what does this all mean? Leaving Siteman Cancer Center yesterday, my mind just kept going back to that reality of I don't think I can afford to wait on more tests to determine if I am really a candidate for these studies. I can't stand the 'hurry up and wait" mentality when I am now 3 weeks out in my surgery recovery and we need to get down to business and get treatments going.

So, I called my docs at St. John's and have everything set up there to get started mid next week. My plan is to continue to research if there are any other studies anywhere else once I’m on the standard treatment. That’s always an option, but fully knowing I could knock myself out of a study because of it. But, this gives me piece of mind that we are moving forward.

I continue to remain strong in my faith that God is healing me. Whether he assists the doctors in my healing or blesses me with his healing hands, HE is with me and carrying me to win this fight.

I am the Lord that heal thee. God has promised and he will deliver!

A little housekeeping detail…I know that I have not responded to the many, many, many emails, cards and notes that all of my ‘healing supporters’ have sent me and I apologize for that. Publicly, I would like to thank EVERYONE and please know that I have read and re-read them ALL. You all have brought me such comfort and strength and you continue to do so every day. Knowing that I have so many supporters and prayers all around me is carrying me on this journey. I appreciate and love you all. Thank you for sharing your compassion and love with me.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Day. Peace and love to all,
Sandy

2 comments:

  1. Sandy, I sense relief in that you now have direction in your on going recovery and I really side with you on that one...bravo! Now that you have made these big decisions...I hope you can relax a bit and enjoy this day and raise your half-FILLED glass with blessings and let us who support you, love you & doctor you fill the other half of your glass to overflowing. Thinking of you today, Christy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are being so wise about your treatment. You are taking charge and checking options. You and God make a good team! I love you, Aunt Kay

    ReplyDelete