Thursday, December 3, 2009

Thursday, December 3, 2009: Radiation and Chemotherapy - Phase 1

"Do not be anxious about anything." Philippians 4:6
However....I am anxious to get my started on my treatments.....let’s get this healing process show on the road, folks!! I begin on Monday, 12/07/2009.

I met with the Radiation Oncologist at St. John’s on Wednesday morning, 12/02 and we talked about the 'plan'. They made the 'mask'. Actually it's more like a big mesh face helmet that will limit the movement of my head during my radiation treatments. That will be a little freaky, as I am somewhat claustrophobic, but it's a necessary apparatus that will ensure that I don't move my head, allowing the radiation to target the exact same spot on my head each and every time. As I lay there, confined, during radiation treatments, I will have to continually remind myself of the objective, so that I don't freak out when I can't move. I’m thinking maybe closing my eyes might be a good idea!! Treatment should last about 15-20 minutes.

So...as I have mentioned in previous posts, my Radiation Treatment will be a 5 day a week regimen for the next 6-1/2 weeks. So I start at 6:15am on Monday, 12/07/2010 and end on Friday, 01/22/2010. (Beginning on Tuesday, 12/08, my timeslot moves to 7 a.m....a little better, eh!) I'm sure some of you said under your breath with a raised eyebrow...7 a.m....you crazy girl??? I am an early riser, I just want to get in there and gitter done!!

I met with my Medical Oncologist at St. John’s Wednesday afternoon, 12/02 and discussed how I am to take the Temodar, which is the chemotherapy drug. I start that on Monday, 12/07 as well. It is in pill form, so I will take this medication at bedtime, in hopes that if I have nausea, I will sleep through it. And that’s a good one…since I’m not sleeping well…we’ll see how that works out for me.

The results of the MRI that was done post-op on 11/20, which was 16 days after surgery, showed a very small spot in the area where the tumor was removed. They couldn’t tell whether it was tumor growth or scar tissue, but the doctor was cautiously optimistic that if it was tumor growth, the radiation will take care of that spot. I’m not worried about it; because I am trusting God is healing me!!

So there you have it…..This is phase 1 of treatment. No doubt it will be a long and rough 6-1/2 weeks, but I am up for the challenge. I know I’m going to be tired and probably sick, but God will carry me through this and make me stronger! After this phase, I will begin another round of Chemotherapy, but I'll get into that as I get closer to the end of this phase. I'm taking one day at a time and keeping in mind that everyday is a gift.

Once again, I must tell you that I am forever grateful for all of my ‘prayer warriors’ and extended healing family for your endless prayers, your inspiration and strength which continues to lift me up on a daily basis. I am still amazed at the outpouring of support by everyone, people I know and don’t know...thank you, thank you, and thank you!! I am so incredibly touched and I feel the power that is directed toward me that there is no way I can lose this fight. I am so lucky to have you all on my side.

“Don’t get discouraged and give up, for we will reap a harvest of blessing at the appropriate time.”

Galatians 6:9

Things are in good hands. Our Lord and Creator of the universe knows what is going on in our lives and keeps watch over us as we come and go, both now and forever.

I will blog again soon.

Peace and blessings to all,
Sandy

6 comments:

  1. I am so inspired by your faith and courage Sandy. You are an incredible Sister, Mom, Wife and Friend. The prayer warriors are such an awesome lot and the family thanks them also for your love and support that is given so freely to Sandy and the family. : ) Love "your Sandy's Sister" : }

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Sandy!

    I have to agree with Tracy (your sister), it is YOU who inspires all of us. It does sound like a grueling 6 1/2 weeks for you and when I think about what you will be going through I have to look back on my life and it's quirks/pitfalls and tell myself to "put up and shut up"! You go girl! 7am...yes...get on with it and get it out of there...I agree with ya! Charge on! Thinking & praying for you, Christy
    Ps. Use may try using some imagery while your eyes are closed...think of your most relaxing time on a vacation for instance. I have one image/feeling/emotion of a vacation time I always go to in time of stress that does help me get by and I hope you do too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to share this with you. When I left your house Sunday evening,I felt a presence there with you. I really believe the holy spirit is with you. He will also be with you while the treatments are going on. Every morning at seven I will pray as you are going through your treatments. God bless you through this time.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will also pray for you Sandy, every morning at 7:00. I have kept you in my prayers each day and am blessed by your testimony of faith. As you put on the helmet, just know that God gives you a helmet of salvation and a crown of beaut. He annoints your head with oil. Also .... Psalm 46:10 says... "Be still and know that I am God," so rest in the assurance that He is covering you as you lay still in His presence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Allow me to share this with everyone....Yvonne Hamiliton thought enough of me to have her mother make me a 'healing quilt'. As her mother hand sewed it, she prayed for me. Imagine the amount of prayer that went into this. I was incredibly touched by the selfless gesture. I lay this quilt on my bed every night and will take this quilt with me to every treatment allowing those prayers to sink in and envelop me. How can I possibly be anymore blessed than I already am.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandy...

    I don't know if you'd be interested in this link...but I just received it through a good friend and it's a wonderful FREE cleaning service for any woman undergoing Chemo:
    http://www.cleaningforareason.org/
    I hope all went as well as expected today, thinking of you, Christy

    ReplyDelete