Monday, December 7, 2009

First Treatment Today - December 7, 2009

I know the plans I have for you. They are plans for good and not disaster, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11

I mentioned in my last blog update about the start of my treatments...well... I started today!! My appointment time was 6:15am. Most of you who know me well, know that I don't like being late for anything. So my 'prompt' self was at the Cancer Center at 6:05am. They took me in the radiation room at 6:09 and got down to business. Oh boy...I'm really gonna have to work at finding 'my happy place"!! Actually I prayed for calmness the entire time...which really did help. I also had the healing prayer quilt over me...that gave me a sense of peace as well. I'm taking that thing with me every day!!

Why is it though, that when you know that you can't move, you inevitably have a spot that just has to be scratched?? The technicians put my mask on, and then of course I needed to scratch...LOL! I said.."Wait, you gotta take this off, GAH!! my nose itches!!" I also wanted to say, "Do ya have to bolt me down so tight? I promise I won't move...really!!" ..but I didn't say it. Besides..I'm sure they would NOT have NOT let me wear the mask anyway. So they started the radiation...hit me beams in 3 different spots. The machine makes a buzzing sound when the radiation is on. I didn't feel anything, but it''s a kind of wierd, eerie noise which reminded me of a movie where a patient is undergoing 'shock treatment'. Thank goodness, I don't need that!!! Anyhow...it all went well and time did pass quickly. I was actually back in the car by 6:25am and on my way home and then made it work by 7am. It took me longer to drive there and back then the treatment appointment.

This morning I also started Temodar, which is the chemotherapy drug; Zofran, which is the anti-nausea drug, and an antibiotic, so as my immune system wears down, I won't get pnuemonia. My goodness...all the rules you need to follow with this stuff. But, I have it all written down, organized in a folder (No really....I'm not too anal rententive!) and I ended up putting everything in a day-by-day pill box, just to keep straight what I've taken and/or not taken. I for sure don't want to mess anything up with this.

As the day has worn on, I'm feeling fine..just a bit of nausea, but nothing that I'm sure another Zofran won't help. Thanks again for all the prayers everyone. I had many phone calls, emails and IM's today asking how I was feeling..thank you everyone for your concern...so far so good. Tomorrow is another day...looking forward to it!!

If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

I remain enveloped in peace and hope,

Sandy
Speak kindly.Live Simply.Care Deeply.Love Generously.
Leave the rest to God.

3 comments:

  1. You go girl! Love you! Your Sandy's Sister. Thank heaven not everyone knows that story! It always makes me chuckle! :) He was so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you Sandy. You inspire me and others with your attitude. Keep up the great work. I love you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. na na na na, I love her more.... Just kiddin, I think you all know how much I love her and I love you all for being such a wonderful and loving family that has "taken me in". With all the love and faith in Sandy's family and in my family there is no way we will not triumph...
    Rick

    ReplyDelete